Wednesday, August 18, 2010

French Impressionist Photography - How To

I am sorry I can't recall the name of the photographer off the top of my head, but I have seen more than one example of street photography done in NY using this technique.  I was always intrigued by it, and thought I would try it.  While on our travels through the French countryside I had the opportunity.


The goal is to create a French Impressionist painting look in a photograph, as it was done pre-Photoshop.  


The method is to shoot through a window with raindrops, focusing on the window and not the scene in the background.


It was raining quite a bit while we were driving through the French countryside.  I thought this one scene was worth capturing, so I shot it straight (using the windshield wipers to clean the water off the windshield) and with water accumulated on the windshield.  Here are the before and after shots.





It's really fun to take the small rural roads that go through every village.  Coming from America, where everything is relatively new, it is amazing to drive through these towns and see people living in whole villages where virtually every structure is centuries old.  I hope you enjoy seeing it as much as we did.  There is more to come.